The original premises were in the city of London, in the Ward
of Cripplegate Without, the site of the Barbican today. As the
business expanded it was necessary to move to larger premises,
although it still remained in the Paper Street area of EC1.
Frederick Henry Brundle had eight children in all and the
eldest son, Frank Walter, assumed control of the company in the
1920's and business continued to flourish.
Like his father before him, Frank took an active part in the
civic affairs of the City of London and both were invited to
'stand in line' for Lord Mayor, but for business reasons they
both declined. However, Frank was later awarded the CBE for his
chairmanship of the Civil Defence in the City, before and during
the second world war.
During this period the Paper Street premises were completely
destroyed in the blitz of 1940 and the company was forced to
relocate to the borders of Islington and Hackney where the firm
remained until 1998.
Frederick Frank Brundle, representing the third generation
of the family, entered the business in 1935 after spending six
months in Belgium at a steel and wire nail works. The war years
interrupted his career in the company and he rejoined later in
partnership with Charles Henry, Frank's youngest brother. Charles
retired in 1960 and Frederick in 1984 when his son Richard assumed